This was an assignment at the end of group one day. I forget the specifics, but I think it pretty much amounted to “here’s the outline of your brain – fill it in.”
While everything here is rooted in truth, there’s obviously a self-deprecating humor underlying it all.
I started to write up a statement but so much felt redundant when taken in conjunction with a lot of my other writing that’s already online here. Since it’s really sort of an index of my brain anyway though, I decided to use this entry as a sort of directory. In the course of compiling it, however, I came to realize a few things…
First, I’m great at pointing out those weaknesses of mine that make me sympathetic (lovable), but am significantly less inclined to open up and and shine a spotlight on my more deplorable faults and flaws. Especially when it comes to dishonesty, manipulation, or anytime I’ve caused another person harm.
Second, when it comes to the things that have really hurt me: same problem. Hurts that I’ve conquered, I’ll talk about all day long because it feels like victory – but the things that really left a scar: not so much. I’m embarrassed by them and they make me feel weak. (This is especially true of events from childhood that now seem petty or trivial).
Third, for a recovering heroin addict that still thinks about heroin on a daily (if not hourly) basis, I don’t seem to ever write about heroin, except in the past tense, like when I’m telling a story.
Fourth, while I’ve shared more of my thoughts on it than a lot of people ever will, I’m still pretty meek when it comes to writing about sex – at least relative to my approach to lots of other socially taboo subjects.
Anyway, here’s the little directory I put together with regard to each “segment” of my brain, as depicted in this drawing from December, although a few are either curiously thin or entirely absent…
Lovesickness (girls, relationships, and associated consequences)
- “Autobiography” (also re: “strategizing”)
- “Girls Are Not Pokemon”
- “Little Vomit-Colored Hearts”
- “Another Opportunity For Growth”
- “The Island in Pinocchio Where Bad Kids Go to Be Bad”
- “Chrissy Fit”
Hope and faith
- “No Accident”
- “Maybe I Don’t Believe in God”
- “Everything Works Out Exactly As It Should”
Fear and doubt
Peace / acceptance
- “Bug Problem”
- “Bright Side Nihilism: (Syria +/= Video Music Awards) < The Dog Peed on the Futon”
- “Whatevermind II (pinkhairdontcare)”
- “Still Sick (The Illest)”
- “My Treatment Plan”
- “All I Really Need to Know I Learned From a Drunk 14 Year Old at the Mall”
- “You Make Me a Worse Person (I’ll Feed My Negativity and Roast in My Fucking Hate)”
Evil, sarcasm, provocation
Neurotic and/or compulsive behavior
- “The No Self-Esteem Engine”
- “Walgreens is Dicks; I’m Irresponsible”
- This… what you’re reading right now… the fact that I’m still making this fucking list when I know that I really ought to stop, elaborate on the things that warrant elaboration and not just keep thinking up pieces that fall under each of these headings. But I’ve made it this far and I don’t want to feel like this was all for nothing….
It was at this point that I paused and rewrote the introduction to this entry so as to include the things I learned about myself in the course of “curating” this directory. Although, remember – you can always use the search box at the bottom of every page to find content related to whatever you might be interested in. The tags just below the title of each entry can be useful too, although I haven’t always done a great job of using them as well as I really should. (I know of at least one tag that’s never been misapplied to an unrelated entry though)…
This entry is TOTALLY two to three hours past due but I was locked out of the site for a few hours on account of all the super 1337 h4x0r5 that have been fucking up my shit (and my webhost’s server) these last few days. I’m just glad they weren’t able to do any serious damage, so I’m not gonna bum out over the little stuff.